- Executive Summary
- 1.1 Project Description
- 1.2 Project Scope
- 1.3 Project Objective
- 1.4 Project Success Criteria
- 2. Task 1 - Current Procurement Issues in the Sri Lanka
- 2.1 Acquiring land and preliminary stage
- 2.2 Design Stage
- 2.3 Construction Stage
- 2.3.1 Technology and Recruitment issues
- 2.4 Operational Stage
- 2.4 Environmental and Ecological Considerations issues
- 3. Task 2 – Potential Procurement Methods to consider
- Separated System
- 4. Selection of Procurement System
Construction industry of Sri Lanka is mainly based on government projects. As per the growing developments, different types of modern concept, theories, and technologies are introduced in the construction industry. ICTAD is considered an important organization which is engaged in procurement and construction methods in Sri Lanka. Following type of procurement methods utilized by Sri Lanka:
• Collaborative system
• Separated system
• Management oriented system
• Integrated system
There are various priorities which should be considered first while making a decision regarding selection of right procurement system. These priorities are cost, quality and time. Measurement of the project on the basis of these priorities helps the organization in selecting appropriate procurement system. Utilization of matrix also directs the organization in achieving success in the project.
There are different procurement strategies which can be utilized by the organization in the development of the project. The potential strategies are negotiated design and build strategy, competitive design and build method, manage and design procurement strategy, or traditional competitive strategy. Build and design procurement system are considered as most beneficial procurement system for the successful accomplishment of the project.
There are lots of procurement systems which are utilized by the construction organizations which can be divided into various categories. The main and basic categories are the level of risk bear by every party, organized construction, an interaction of the design, the presence of information and the techniques of payments are done, etc.
DeMere Group is considered as a biggest global leisure organization who wants to operate and develop three inclusive-village type hotels in rural coastal regions of Sri Lanka. Apart of this, they also consider formulating further two more locations in Sri Lanka. The organization is also planning to utilize modern and prefabrications conceptions of sustainability in operations, design, and construction.
The key motive of the paper is to describe the very significant procurement strategy for the construction project of DeMare Group in Sri Lanka with focusing the success criteria of different projects of future.
Place Order For A Top Grade Assignment Now
We have some amazing discount offers running for the studentsPlace Your Order
1.1 Project Description
1.2 Project Scope
DeMare group wants to position its new hotels in undeveloped and remote locations and shall require efficient infrastructure works. The location of the new hotel is affected largely by its environmental and ecological issues. Efficient and Long-lasting building design will help the organization to deal with ecological and environmental issues efficiently. This will facilitate the organization in earning more and more profit.
1.3 Project Objective
DeMare Group wants to enforce best indigenous Sri Lankan designs in coastal regions where necessary infrastructure work has to be performed. The organization wants to fulfill all its obligations towards the environment of the area. It understands its responsibility towards environment due to which developments of hotels are done in remote coastal areas. The main aim of the organization is to position itself in front of attractive and sustainable building construction and designs in its developments.
It is a big project which has various identical design items organization proposal is to measure likelihoods for prefabrication of toilets and rooms. The primary objective of the organization can be understood by the following figure:
1.4 Project Success Criteria
• Generally, it is considered that every single organization is affected more by their level of experience when selecting different procurement strategies for their own business operations than by project-specific-factors. Therefore, it can be said that DeMare Group is new in Sri Lanka industry and choosing the best procurement strategy is very necessary for the organization because of it influence the overall working of the organization. Apart from the strategy of the procurement, there are various success factors which influence the accomplishment of the project significantly (Plantinga, 2016). Finishing the project as per predetermined time period, within the specified budget amount, and attaining the desired quality and aesthetics would be one of the necessary aspects for the DeMare Group. Attaining all these factors enables the organization to position itself in the Sri Lanka market successfully.
• Efficient level of communication and absence of co-ordination sometimes brings in the failure of the project. So, it is the responsibility of the organization to develop a dedicated team for the whole project. Energetic participation of every team member would lead to the fruitful achievement of the project and also define the effective success criteria of the project
2. Task 1 - Current Procurement Issues in the Sri Lanka
• Operational Stage
• Acquiring Land and Preliminary Stage
• Construction stage
• Design Stage
2.1 Acquiring land and preliminary stage
• Cultural and Social Issues
• Location and Environmental Issues
• Legal issues
If DeMare group want success at its initial stage, it should come up with a strong proposal which separates it from others. It can achieve success by addressing different cultural, social and environmental conservation issues. For identifying these issues, the organization needs to search high skilled professionals who can conduct the feasibility study in an effective way (Fewings, 2013). Apart of it, the organization requires necessary expert advice to tackle with pertinent authorities and councils for legal problems which will arise at the initial stage of the project.
It is necessary for the organization to tackle carefully with the different social and environmental organizations because they are the possible factors which create problems during the working of the project. So, it is necessary for the organization to get approval from Board of Investment, Coastal Conservation authority, local authorities, urban councils and environment authority prior to acquiring the land. As per the construction law of Sri Lanka, no overseas organization can work in Sri Lanka without the permission of Sri Lanka Institute of Architects. Thus, it is necessary for an organization to engage a local architect with its project functioning at its initial stages.
2.2 Design Stage
Using Building Information Modeling system brings important change in the recent working of the construction industry. There are various countries which are utilizing BIM system and gaining lots of benefits (Tan, 2015). It is necessary for the organization to evaluate the possibilities to implement the BIM system at the initial stage of the project. It is required for the organization to involve BIM managers, architects, facility manager, and ICT professionals to successfully completing the whole project.
Generally, BIM is considered as a process of developing a digital parametric model which shows the functional and physical features of a building in a detailed manner and further shared its pool of knowledge with others which can be utilized to make a necessary decision during the construction and design stages throughout the lifecycle of the project. The below-mentioned figure represents the Delivery system of BIM: (Zhang, 2013)
2.3 Construction Stage
2.3.1 Technology and Recruitment issues
If the organization is ready to have a BIM-based project design, there should ICT professionals and BIM managers who can efficiently manage the BIM (Kim, 2013). So, it is necessary for the organization to focus this issue of procurement before taking any decision regarding the commencement of the construction work.
2.4 Operational Stage
2.4 Environmental and Ecological Considerations issues
• Project Time: It is a very important factor for the accomplishment of the project. For DeMare group it is necessary to finish the project as per timely basis. They would like to open its hotel during 2017, then it is necessary to tackle with the time management issue in an efficient manner. To accomplish the project on time, the organization need to establish its time schedule and should follow it so that it can ensure that project is completed on timely basis.
• Project speed: Speed of project is influenced by various problems such as lack of raw material, delay in starting project and various others. So, it is necessary for the organization to ensure the adequacy of project speed so that project can accomplish as on timely basis.
• Client’s flexibility: It is the major factor which influence the accomplishment of product. As the suppliers and clients of the organization changes continuously, a sudden change in its clients brings negative outcomes for the success of organization.
• Design: DeMare group is mainly interested in formulating inclusive village type hotels. It is because the modern clients of the hotel will prefer more the luxurious hotel rooms. So, design of rooms is very crucial factor for its success. Failure in its design may cause huge loss to organization.
3. Task 2 – Potential Procurement Methods to consider
• Collaborative System
• Separated System
• Management Oriented System
• Integrated System
The below-mentioned figure represents the procurement arrangement chart of construction industry in Sri Lanka: (PATHIRAGE, 2008)
• Integrated System: It is the system which is a combination of build and design system along with its different variants. It is the single system which is responsible for the construction as well as design of the project. It meets the all project issues and project priorities by developing and constructing the turnkey and package deals. As per this system client is selected on the bid basis. The below mentioned figure represents how it meets the project priorities and procurement issues:
• Management oriented system: In the last few decades the management in the UK industry has seen a substantial growth in management oriented procurement system. It is demanded in the market because it play an important role in completed the project within a predetermined time period and amount because of the high gaining experience of contractors and efficient management techniques. This system meets the project priorities and resolve the procurement issues by conducting tender process. It release tender packages base on specification and drawing without any mentioned quantities. In this system of procurement the cost of project is uncertain but the time period is certain. The below figure represents the time line of procedure of management oriented system:
4. Selection of Procurement System
Recent technological development changed the traditional way of procuring completely. Utilization of BIM model in a construction project, change the overall roles of experts and professionals in the construction field with altering duties of current roles.