Hello! Readers, .you must have heard about people practising various types of learning styles They adopt various strategies and learning habits to study effectively. All of this happens when the exams are around the corner. Students also opt for assignment help online which keeps them on track through the academic year. But have you ever wondered which technique works the best for you? Or asked yourself, “ What kind of learner am I ?”
In this blog post, I am going to share the following contents:
- What are learning styles?
- How to know what kind of learner am I?
What are learning styles?
As you know that everybody has a different way of walking and talking. In the same way, we also have a different way of thinking, processing and, storing information. The different ways in which we understand, arrange and store information are known as the learning styles. Some of you may learn the best by listening to the information in audio form. Whereas others may like a hands-on approach to getting a closer understanding of the subject. There is no right or wrong way to do it. What may work the best for you might be the worst technique for your friend. Moreover, science has proven that we all have different kinds of intellect.
For example, some of us are better in art and craft. On the other hand, there are many people who cannot even draw a straight line. This does not make anybody inferior. But simply proves the fact that we all are different. Before going any further to know, “what kind of learner am I”? You first need to understand this fact.
How to know what kind of learner am I?
Many of you must have also taken help of internet to find out what kind of learner am I. There are many quizzes and questionnaires available online who claim to answer this. However, their results are most of the times random. And, if not random they only show our dominant style of learning. Today, I am going to discuss the less known four learning styles. It will finally answer your question, “What kind of learner am I?”
You do not realize on an everyday basis. But your learning style influences your personality more than you think. It changes the way you record experiences in your mind, memorize information and choose the words that you speak. You need to explore all these areas to know what kind of learner am I. Now you may wonder why this is important. Well, the way we learn has a lot to do with our studies. Our study technique should be based on the learning style for the most powerful effect. You can take what kind of learner are you quiz to know what type of a learner are you.
There are five recognized learning styles in the world:
The Visual (Spatial) Learning Style
If you are one of those who prefers the visual style of learning, you mostly visualize every situation. You may do this through pictures, images, colors, and maps. You have the power to visualize situations and outcomes in your mind. However, students habituated with this learning style tend to be weak with the complex calculations. They should then seek online assignment help. So, that they do not stress about something they are not good at. The visual learners also have a good sense of direction due to the spatial elements in their learning. You are a pro when it comes to working with the maps, and no directions can stress you out. You always find your way to the destination. For example, when you step out of an elevator, you certainly know which way to go.
As per hobbies, you may like to do anything with colors. Like scribbling, doodling, drawing, and sketching are some of the activities you enjoy the most.
Visual Learning techniques
- Does visual learner satisfy your what kind of learner am I query? If yes then you use a lot of images, pictures, and colors to learn. There are a few techniques to find out better what type of learner am I. If these techniques enhance your learning experience then you are a visual learner. The visual learning techniques are as follows:
- Try using colors, customized layout, and spatial movements in your day to day life. ‘Visual Words’ like picture, perspective, see, visual and map can also help in a better understanding.
- Ditch the text and use colors, mind maps and images whenever possible. In case you are working on a paper and not on the computer try to use four different colors of pen. The colored text will help you to memorize better.
- Take help from diagrams to learn the scientific gadgets.
- A visual story can help you to memorize content better than text or books.
- You have an inner talent to come up with Peg words. Your ability of visualization helps you to come up with Peg words every time.
The Physical (Kinesthetic) Learning Style
If the Physical Style is your answer to what kind of a learner am I then maybe you let your body do all the talking. You explore the world around you mostly through the sense of your touch. Most of these learners prefer to indulge in physical activities and sports. You like to connect mental activity with the physical. For example, you generate new ideas and solutions while you are exercising than sitting on the study table. You prefer going out for a walk if you are feeling low rather than crying to the pillow. You live for adventure and have a keen interest in developing new machines.
The thought of sitting with empty hands while a lecture is going on sounds strange to you. You always need something to keep you moving. You cannot afford to sit for long hours and believe in a hands-on experience.
Physical Learning Techniques
- If you have a physical style of learning, then focus more on the physical parts or components of the subject.
- Attempt doing practical science experiments to understand the concepts like friction and force better.
- We do not generally realize, but writing and drawing diagrams are also a part of physical learning.
- Activities like role-playing and skits help in stimulating the learning of social values.
The Aural (Auditory-Musical-Rhythmic) Learning Style
If your search of what kind of learner am I ends at the aural style, then you have a better sense of audio works. You understand the different levels of pitch and rhythm. You may generally remember all the movie dialogues word by word and the class lectures with every detail. Your hobbies are mostly associated to music like creating a jingle or simply humming a song.
Aural Learning Techniques
- Those who are Aural learners must incorporate elements of sound in their learning. Like rhyme, sound or music. Associate the sounds that you hear with the visuals.
- Sound recordings can help you provide a background to create visuals for learning. For example, listening to a recording of an aircraft engine can give you an insight into the mechanisms of the machine.
- Try to memorize long answers by breaking them into rhymes or making a jingle.
- Whenever you feel lazy or out of focus just listen to energetic music. It gives you the much-needed boost to back to work.
Verbal (Linguistic) Learning Style
Let’s see if Verbal Learning Style is your answer to what kind of learner am I. Verbal style is quite versatile than you may think. Those who have a Verbal style can indulge in both spoken and written form of communication. They have no inhibitions and can express themselves fluently both verbally and write. If you think you can relate to these factors then maybe you also have a Verbal style. Your hobbies can be writing and reading. You also like to mix the text and the sound. This can take various forms of rhymes and tongue twisters. You possess a good vocabulary an always on a lookout for new words. You also try and use these unique words in your daily conversations as well.
Verbal Learning Techniques
- Since you are a Verbal learner, you should try techniques which involve both writing and speaking. You should not rush before finding out what kind of learner am I. Take some time out to find out new ways of doing so. One of the examples could be noting down the verbal lectures. This ensures that you will remember whatever you have read and not just bits of it.
- Now that you no longer have to worry about what kind of learner am I, it is time to know all about it. You should include word-based techniques in your writing as much as possible. Using a rhyme or jingle which has an easy rhythm can make your essay and features stand out.
- You can make up your unique phrases to memorize hard words easily.
- Scripting can be a great way to practice for you. Moreover, it is not just limited to the written form. You can record your script in an audio form. It can act as a backup apart from being reviewable. It will also save up your time in editing as listening to audio takes a lot less time than reading.
- Be loud and alive! Read your content aloud in a dramatic manner. Do not use a monotone, rather modulate your voice as per emotions of the lines. This helps you to memorize the whole content. Moreover, you can increase your confidence and stage presence through this bold practice.
- Listen to others as well. We all are different, and so are our views. By interacting with other people, you can form or get to know a different perspective. It can be about anything and everything.
The Logical (Mathematical) Learning Style
Those who have a logical style of learning using a mathematical and logical reasoning approach. Finding what kind of learner am I should not also be a big task for them. They have a keen interest in patterns and finding connections between complicated situations. Classification of contents comes naturally to them, and it can be really helpful in the stressful last hours of exam. You might be very good with numbers if your search for what kind of leaner am I ends here.
Be it creating agendas or budgets you are always in the front seat. You like everything in a systematic manner. Your abilities shine the most while solving difficult logical problems.
Logical Learning techniques
Being a logical learner does not change the fact that you need to read and write as well. Apart from paying attention to the logical reasoning questions, you should also read whenever needed. For example, like you are reading right now to know “What kind of learner am I”. It will make your memory stronger combined with your strong logical skills.
Apply your God gifted skills to overcome the real-life challenges. What if there is a test tomorrow and you do not have much time? You can put your systematic trait to the use. Through following statistics and analysis, you can find out your problem areas and start working on them.
A downside of this learning style is that you tend to over analyse everything. Sometimes you just have to calm down and go with the flow. For example, while reading a work of fiction. You often find it hard to change your habits or traits. This is when you need to bring out your rationality and adapt to new things and experiences. Read further to know your learning style and teaching strategies to adopt for making students learn faster.
Teaching Strategies for different learning styles
Each person is unique in processing the information. You have read above the different styles of learning. Every style is different from other therefore, teachers must adopt different teaching styles as well for different learning styles. Teachers should take what type of learner quiz to identify the type of learner the student is.
Below you will see the methods of teaching for all five types of learning styles. These styles will surely be effective in increasing the learning performance of students.
Teaching style for Visual learners
Information retained by the visual learners is by pictures, video clips, coloured images and patterns. Such learners easily understand visual data such as graphs, charts, and maps. Therefore, teaching strategies for visual learners should be,
- More use of visual aids. Explain the topic with the help of any diagrams or graphs. Such learners can read maps well. Experts have identified that such learners are good in subjects like geography, biology, biology. As they see the diagrams and retain the information easily.
- Provide visual analogies and metaphors. Teachers should provide a description which is more concerned with the visual sense. Use the words that can easily draw a visual image in the minds of the learners.
- For teachers, sometimes it gets hard to bring diagrams every time. Therefore, they should write the information on board so that visual learners can easily process the information.
- Use of colours while displaying the information. Most of the learners retain the information they see in bright colours like red.
- Teachers and instructors should ask the learners to make notes on every topic. This way, they themselves see the presentation of the work in their own writing.
- Highlighting the key points. Teachers should highlight the key points with some coloured pen or marker.
Teaching strategies for Aural learners
Aural learners have a good sense of sound. They make actions or respond to sound. They have a good memory of the conversations. Musical sounds attract them and cause an emotional stir in them as well. Teachers should adopt the following strategies while dealing with students who can learn well with the help of sounds.
- A teacher should allow them to be a part of discussions and debates. It helps in boosting confidence as well.
- Instructors should suggest audiobooks to such learners. They will learn things through audio tutorials as well.
- To make audio learners learn well, teachers should make audio recordings of the topics and send them to students. They can listen to it in free time or at home.
- Read things loud in the classroom. Students will grab the voice and improve their learning as well.
- Teachers should also use mnemonics and rhythm.
- Read the text in the class by doing voice modulations. Different tones will provide better learning to students.
Teaching strategies for Verbal learners
Verbal learners learn through words and linguistic skills. Teachers should allow such students to write and speak more. The more they speak, the more they will learn. Such learners often become good public speakers. Follow below-mentioned techniques to improve the learning in verbal learners.
- Use verbal teaching and writing technique to make students learn verbally. Allow them to memorise the text through reading and writing.
- Ask the learner to give a presentation in the class. The more they use their verbal skills, the more they will learn.
- Let them indulge in more interactive sessions. Allow them to interact with different people and acquire knowledge through conversation.
- Quizzes will help such students in learning. Provide quizzes and questionnaires to them.
Teaching strategies for Logical learners
Logical learners understand things through logic and reasoning. They are good in subjects involving calculations. Therefore, math and physics are the best subjects for such students. Students who are logical learners are good at analysing things thus have strong analytical skills. Adopt the following habits to help such learners.
- Provide them with logical reasoning questions.
- Compel them to use critical thinking while solving any problem.
- Provide them statistical figures and facts.
- Ask them to analyse any topic, visual information and prepare a report on it.
Teaching strategies for Physical and Kinesthetic learners
Practical or physical learners process information through body movements or when they do some actions. Strategies to deal with such learners are:
- Use physical movements and hand movements to teach such students.
- Make them learn things with the help of exercises. Let these students walk while they read something.
- Let them write as much as they can, writing is a movement therefore, they will learn from it.
- Such learners will also learn through diagrams and graphs. Allow them to make as many drafts as possible.
- Make such students learn through case studies and surveys. In both tasks, they have to go out and meet people and have a conversation with them.
Now if you are still in doubt, let me help you out. Firstly, you can go ahead and experiment with all these techniques to find out the one which works the best for you. Ask yourself questions to find out the preferences. For example, whether you would listen to a lecture or learn through a presentation and vice versa. You may also go for a group study session. Interacting with people does not only enrich your knowledge but also develops a feeling of competition. When you sit down to study alone analyse which technique helps you to memorise content for a longer period. I hope this blog post will help you to find out “what type of learner am I.” If you are facing issues in completing your assignment, then, you can take online assignment help. For any queries, you can freely contact us on our website. Our expert writers are always there to help you.