INTRODUCTION TO MEMORY MANAGEMENT
Memory management is being regarded as the type of resource management which applies to computer memory. In accordance with the given context, it can be depicted that Memory management is the systematic process in which computer memories are controlled as well as coordinated. Here, different portions are called blocks that are being used for the purpose to run the various programs in order to optimize the overall performance of the system in an effective way.
In the operating system, Memory management plays a vital role. This is because; it assures that the memory of the computer should not be filled with the data. Thus, here we will carry out a major discussion on the given aspect only and learn more about the major concepts that are being related to Memory management in an efficient way. Now, our experts from Programming Assignment Help will tell you about the key areas of memory management.
KEY AREAS OF MEMORY MANAGEMENT
Memory management is being recognized as one of the most complex fields of computer science. Hence, there is a number of techniques have been developed with an aim to make the respective function more efficient in nature. Also, there are three major areas in which the whole Memory management is divided. The details about the same are depicted below:
Hardware memory management
The very first area related to Memory management is hardware memory management. Herein, it can be depicted that hardware memory management is concerned with hardware devices. In other words, it can also be said that it is basically related to the electronic devices that store the data of the computer. Also, this includes devices like RAM (Random Access Memory) and caches memory.
Operating system memory management
It is being regarded as another form of Memory management. In this regard, in the operating system, the memory of the computer should be allocated to the user program. However, it is being reused by another program when it will be seen that the memory is no longer will be required. Herein, the computer can also pretend that it has more memory to store than the actual capacity. On the other hand, each program that is involved in it has the machine memory. Thus, these are being regarded as the main feature of the virtual memory that is also one of the most important concepts in the computer program.
Application memory management
Another key area of Memory management is application memory management. It basically involves the process of supplying the memory that is being needed for the data structure and program objects. Here, the memory is recycled when it is of no use or when it is no longer required. The application memory does not possess the capability to predict how much memory it will require. It basically possesses two types of tasks such as allocations and recycling.
- Allocation: This happens when the program requests the block of the memory, thus in the respective situation the memory manager has to allocate the blocks out of the larger blocks that have been received by it from the operating system. The respective function which is being performed by the individual is called by the name of allocators.
- Recycling: It is another task of application memory. In this, the blocks are recycled for the reuse purpose when the memory blocks are allocated and the data which they possess is no longer required. This includes two basic approaches of the recycling memory and these are manual memory management and automatic memory management. Now our experts from Assignment Help will tell you about the related problems.
PROBLEMS RELATED TO MEMORY MANAGEMENT
However, before getting details about manual and automatic memory management, it is very much important for the individual that they should get the idea about the main problems that are related to the concepts such as Memory management in an effective way. By getting an idea about the same, some more main details about Memory management can be gathered. The detailed explanations of the same are given below:
- Premature fees and the dangling pointers: There are many programs that tend to give up the memory, however, they still make an attempt to access it later and behave randomly. The given type of situation is called by the name of premature fees. But, the surviving reference to the memory is called as the dangling pointers in an effectual way.
- Memory leak: It is another issue that is related to memory management. In accordance with the given context, there are some programs that continually allocate the memory without giving up on the same and as a result of this, they will run out of the memory. The respective type of condition is called as the memory leak.
- The poor locality of the references: It is another problem that comes from the layout of the allocated blocks. Here, modern hardware and the manager of the operating system handle the memory. The access to the successive memory is faster when it is very much near to the memory locations.
- Inflexible design: The manager of memory can also cause the server performance problem. This happens when they are being designed with the one use in mind but actually, they are being in different ways. The given problem will occur because here the solutions of memory management tend to make the varied type of assumptions in relation to the manner in which program is being used. Therefore, it is very correct to say that these are some main problems that are related to Memory management.
ABOUT MANUAL MEMORY MANAGEMENT
As discussed above also that the recycling can be done in two ways and thus in this section discussion is being carried out in relation to manual memory management. In the given type of memory management, the programmer will tend to have direct control over the memory, thus it has to make a decision that when memory should be recycled. The given thing is usually done by explicit calls with an aim to heap the management functions or it is done through the language construct that will have influence over the control stack. In this regard, it can be depicted that the main feature of the manual memory manager is to state the program to say different things such as “Have the memory has a back” or “am I finished with it”. The advantages and disadvantages that are associated with the same are depicted below:
Advantages of manual memory management program
- For the programmer, it is very much easier to get the idea that what is exactly going on
- There is some manual memory manager that tends to perform better when they are short of the memory.
Disadvantages of manual memory management program
- The programmer here has to write so many codes with an aim to perform the repetitive bookkeeping of the memory in an effectual way.
- It should form a significant part of any type of module interface.
- It also requires more memory per the overhead object instead of others.
- The bugs that are being identified in the manual memory management are very much common. Thus, it can be said that these are some main advantages and disadvantages of manual memory management.
ABOUT AUTOMATIC MEMORY MANAGEMENT
It is another type of management. It is basically the type of service or it is the part of the language that automatically recycles that specific memory that the computer program will not use again. The managers of the automatic memory usually perform their job of doing recycling the blocks that are not reachable from the program variables. However, there are some advantages as well as disadvantages that are also being assessed in relation to automatic memory management. The details of the same are given below:
Advantages of automatic memory management
- The programmer of the given memory is freed to work on the actual problem in an effectual way.
- There is very much clear modular interface.
- The bugs that are being involved in it are not that much.
- It is more efficient in comparison to the other type of memory management.
Disadvantages of automatic memory management
- The memory here is retained, but it is of no use for the users.
- At present, there is very much limited availability is being seen in relation to the memory manager.
Read Alos- Top Software To Practise Maths in 2021
BASIC CONCEPTS RELATED TO MEMORY MANAGEMENT
In order to know more about management, it is very much important for the individual that it should have an idea about the main concepts that are related to management. This is because it is by complying with a given type of activity only more details about memory management can be gathered. The details about the major concepts are depicted below:
The very first concept of management is swapping. It is the type of process which is being required in memory for the execution purpose. But, many times this happens that there is not enough main memory left with an aim to hold all the active processes in the timesharing type of system. Thus, it is due to the presence of respective aspect only the access processes are being kept on the desk and afterward, they are brought in for the purpose to run it dynamically. In simple words, it is very right to say that swapping is the systematic process to bring each and every process in the main memory, they are being run for the while and afterward, they are again being put up in the disk.
Read Also- Best Law Sites To Get Help
Contiguous memory allocation
In the contiguous memory allocation, each process is being contained in the single contiguous block of the memory. Herein, it can be said that in the respective approach the memory of the computer is being divided into several fixed partitions. On the other hand, each partition that is being involved in it tends to possess one process. Thus, when the partition is free then in this situation from the process queue, an input is selected and the same thing is loaded in it. The free blocks in the memory are being called by the name of holes. Further, different sets of holes are searched in order to examine which specific hole is good.
It is also considered as another most important aspect. It is basically the type of phenomenon which enables an individual to carry out control over memory access rights on the computers. The main aim of the given protection is to prevent the processing of that specific memory that has not been allocated to it in an effectual way. Thus, it is through this way only it prevents the bugs within the process that is being affected by another process. Further, the results of segmentation faults are being used in order to disrupt the whole process.
It is the systematic process with the help of which computer program are being assigned with the memory or space. It is of three types such as first fit, best fit, and the worst fit. The first fit is the first hole that is very much big enough to allocate to the program. Moreover, the best fit is the smallest hole that is very much big enough to allocate to the program. Apart from this, the last fit is the worst fit that will have the largest hole that is very much big enough to allocate to the program.
From the whole analysis, it can be concluded that in the operating system of the computer Memory management has a vital role. This is due to the reason that it assures that all the memory of the computers should be stored in an effectual manner. Further, by having an idea about the main areas of it, the programmer can make an effective decision in relation to the allocation as well as recycling of the memory in an efficient way. Also, by having good knowledge about the concepts of management, the programmer can assess a quick solution to the problem. Further, with the help of mentioned concepts, detailed knowledge about them can be gained. For more information, you can also check with assignment experts.