Olla Peeps! ðŸ™‚ Writing college essays have always been a challenge. Essays are also of different types. You might have to write long essays or sometimes a short essay. In long essays, we can still express ourselves in a broader form and more openly. But, short essay deals with writing limited and point to point.
You might be facing difficulties in writing a short essay, but don’t worry as I am here to help you. I will brief you on writing short essays. This article will cover the following points:
- Short Essay Definition
- How long is a short essay?
- Short essay format
- How to Write a Short Essay?
- Short essay examples
So, let’s get started with our article.
1) Short Essay Definition
Before moving on to know about a short essay, let’s learn a bit about “what is an essay?” It will help you to understand better.
What is an essay?
So, an essay is a piece of writing which highlights the author’s own argument. Essays are mainly classified as formal or informal andÂ are generally used as a silent weapon to express thoughts on various themes and topics.
Essays might be used as arguments, favour or criticism, daily life-based observations, etc. Formal essays deal with topics related to serious purposes, dignity, organization, etc. Informal essays are defined by self-revelation, humour, graceful style, etc.
Essays can be written long, fully expressing your thoughts on a topic. But, when it comes to writing down a short essay, you need to be very clear with your points. It is crucial to write down the information in a compact manner. Usage of limited words with maximum details.
What qualifies as a short essay?
The name itself says it all. A short essay means essay which is written in short. The guidelines for writing short essays are almost similar to that of writing a normal long essay. The main difference is the length.
A short essay is defined by its length and the depth of ideas which are presented in it. There is a limited word count for this type of anÂ essay, so you need to make sure that you put in right words and ideas.
Your ideas should be very clear from the beginning itself. Short essays covers catchy topics. Your essay should need to respond to an argument or a question. You can even present your individual opinion or view. In a short essay, the ideas are predicted shallowly as the essay length is limited.
2) Short Essay Length- How long is a Short Essay?
Well, this is the most asked question of all. A short essay should be a minimum of half-page & maximum of 1 page if we work single-spaced. It can go up to max 2 pages if we work double-spaced. Short essays should consist of maximum 400 words. You can go up to 500 but, if only it’s the need of the topic.
The topics of your short essays should be very catchy. It helps in catching the attention of the reader. If you have an issue deciding the topic of your essay, then just prepare an outline of all the topics which you have, and it will help you to find out the best topic. If you already have a topic, then you need to prepare an outline for its content. Let’s now discuss the Guidelines on Writing Short Essays.
Short Essay Guidelines:
Following are the 4 crucial guidelines for writing a short essay:
- A short essay should be of approximately 400-500 words and 1 page to 2 pages. The page no. depends on the spacing between the lines.
- The essay needs to answer the question or, you can say the topic assigned to you. You can put in your views if required.
- You need to be very Precise when you write a short essay. So, you need to understand the topic really well.
- The main parts that build up a short essay are introduction, body and a conclusion. Introduction and conclusion should not be more than one paragraph, and the body can be about 3 paragraphs. Body depends on the topic of the essay.
3) Short Essay Format
The major feature of a short essay is that you have to limit down the words of your arguments and ideas. You need to follow the structure. Short essays have a specific structure to be followed. It is basically a 5 paragraphs structure. 1 paragraph Introduction, 3 paragraphs body, and 1 paragraph conclusion.
It is the most important part of a short essay. It should be of one paragraph and not more. The first impression is crucial. Your introduction should build up the interest of the audience, and it should be clear that what is the topic. It should be concise, catchy and informative.
The first sentence itself should claim the urgency of the topic which becomes worth reading. End the sentence with a precise statement. It should focus on the main problem. The statement can be debatable so that opponents will want to argue on your issue.
3 paragraphs out of 5, should be of the main body. This part contains your main ideas and supporting evidence or facts. You need to put the strongest argument in the first paragraph and then later support it with appropriate facts.
Make sure that your evidence contains quotations and cite them according to the requirements of the format. Use linking words and conjunctions to make your text cohesive. It will bring flow to your narration.
This paragraph is for the final results. It should be 1 paragraph long. In this paragraph, you need to show how your ideas from the body support the statement in the first paragraph.
It is not a summary, but this part will close the question raised in the introduction part.
The main aim is to provide the reader a new view of the subject. The last sentence of the conclusion part should satisfy the reader. The reader should be satisfied with what he read at the first place in the introduction.
4) How to write a short essay?
A short essay is very different from long essays. While writing long essays, you have full freedom to express your ideas in much bigger space. But, in short essay, you may feel that you don’t have much space to make an argument, as you need to be precise with your words. Below are the components of a short essay.
Components of a short essay
- Length: The length of a short essay is very important. You can’t write too much in it. If you write too much, then it will become a long essay. It is therefore important to first prepare an outline and then work on it. Identify few points on which you need to write and which will support the argument much better.
- Thesis Statement: Your short essay is guided by thesis statements. The length of an essay will define the placement of the thesis statement. If the essay is very short, then the thesis statement will come just after the introductory line.In some cases, the thesis statement is used as an introductory statement. The main of using a thesis statement is to tell the user directly that what he is about to read. Thesis statements are words which can be both explanatory or argumentative.
- Sections/Parts: It is important that you keep in mind the section in which the essay has to be divided. There are 3 parts; an Introductory paragraph, body and conclusion paragraphs. The introduction and conclusion, both are equally important. One paragraph each is enough for the intro and conclusion. The body part can be of 2 to 3 paragraphs depending on the topic on which you are working.
Summary of the above components
As a short essay is determined by its length, it should have maximum 3 body paragraphs. Each paragraph can represent one point but, there should be a flow between those paragraphs. The introductory paragraph must introduce the idea which will be discussed in the essay.
A short essay should have about five paragraphs. The intro should be very catchy as it will attract the readers and then they can easily get your point. A thesis statement should be placed in the introductory paragraph of your essay.
The three paragraphs in the body part should support the thesis statement. As for the conclusion part, it should not only sum up the argument, but it should also lift up the idea presented in the essay. Ideas which you will present in the essay should be logical, and there should be an easy flow. At last, you should always proofread your essay. It is to check for any grammatical or other logical errors.
5) Short essay examples
Well, I hope, that above sections cleared it all. What is a short essay? How to write a short essay? All these questions have been answered above. To make it more clear for you, here are few examples which you can refer to understand more. Click here, to read those examples. These are short essay examples which you will easily understand.
So, guys, this article was all about a short essay. I hope, it answered all your questions. If you have any other questions, or you want me to add something in this article, then kindly comment down below and let me know. For any other queries, or for any online assignment help, you can contact us on the id given on our website. We would love to help you. Thank you for reading. ðŸ™‚