INTRODUCTION TO THE HYBRID SEEDS
In the field of gardening and agriculture, hybrid seeds are being produced by the cross-pollinated plants. In this regard, it can be said that hybrid seeds are being regarded as a type of technology which is based on the cross-pollination. In this, two diversely related pure lines show desire traits and thus they produce hybrid seeds. In a simple way, it can also be defined as performing the cross between two or more unrelated inbred plants. Therefore, the result of a given combination will give life to another plant which is called by the name of the hybrid plant.
At present, hybrid seeds are gaining major popularity. This is because; the given seeds are more effective than the other types of seeds. Thus, here we will carry on our discussion upon the main pros and cons that are associated with the hybrid seeds. Further, here discussion will also be carried out upon the main steps which are being used in order to make a production of hybrid seeds in an effectual manner. Now our experts from Assignment Help Australia will tell you the difference between hybrid and non-hybrid seeds.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HYBRID AND NON HYBRID SEEDS
Before getting into more details about the hybrid seeds, it is very much essential for the individual that it should at first improve its understanding about the hybrid and non-hybrid seeds. This is due to the reason that it is by having good knowledge of the same only, an individual is able to get a better idea about hybrid seeds in an effectual manner. The difference between hybrid and non-hybrid seeds are given in the below-mentioned table:
|HYBRID SEEDS||NON-HYBRID SEEDS|
|These seeds are cross-pollinated by using two different strains of the plants||On the other hand, non-hybrid seeds are naturally pollinated.|
|There is no other name of hybrid seeds.||They are also called by the name of open-pollinated or the heirloom seeds.|
|The hybrid plants do not produce seeds that can be used with an aim to grow a similar type of plants. Thus, if a person will again have to grow the similar type of hybrid vegetables or the fruit then in this situation it will again have to go through the whole process of hybrid seeds manufacture in an effectual way. Further, it is often used with an aim to manufacture the vegetables.||Unlike hybrid seeds, in the non-hybrid seeds, an individual can get the seeds from the plants. Thus, the seeds can be used with an aim to grow a similar type of plants. But, it is used for producing fruits and vegetables, etc.|
|It is very much expensive in nature||It is not that much expensive in nature|
Therefore, it is very correct to say that these are being regarded as the main difference that tends to exist between hybrid and non-hybrid seeds. Now our assignment experts will tell you about the pros and cons of hybrid seeds.
PROS OF HYBRID SEEDS
It is very beneficial for the individual that it should have the information about the pros associated with hybrid seeds. Thus, the details about the same are given below:
- It is very much less affected by the different types of environmental stress such as insects and plants diseases etc.
- It also has the advantage that it tends to offer better and consistent performance in comparison to the non-hybrid seeds in an effectual manner.
- It also helps in the process of providing yield benefits to the individual who grows such types of plants. This happens because hybrid seeds are most drought and the pest tolerant. In addition to this, they also have a capability with respect to change themselves as per the climatic condition. Thus, with the help of hybrid seeds, farmers can avoid different yield-related risks.
- The hybrid seeds are much stronger and larger plants.
- It helps in the process of obtaining very new species of vegetables or flowers etc. Thus, these are being regarded as some major pros which are related to hybrid seeds in an effectual manner.
CONS OF HYBRID SEEDS
We will now look into different cons that are related to hybrid seeds. Till now we have gained the information about the benefits of using hybrid seeds and now we will look into the limitations that are related to the same. The details are given below:
- It takes very much time as well as money to prepare. This is due to the reason that the process of developing hybrid seeds is not that much simple. Thus, it can be said that with an aim to develop such seeds sufficient money will be required.
- It is very much costly in nature in comparison to the other type of seeds. Hence, it is because of the given reason only there are many farmers who try to avoid the plantation of the given type of seeds.
- It cannot be obtained with the help of the classical method of production. This is due to the fact that many hybrid seeds or hybrid plants will have a mechanism that tends to repulse the pollen alien to their species.
- It also has the limitation that the seeds which are being incurred from the hybrid seeds cannot be saved for the future.
- There are many people who believe that produce from the given plants is not that much tasty.
STEPS OF PRODUCTION
We have gained very much information about hybrid seeds. But now its time to have some information about the steps which is being used with an aim to perform the production of hybrid seeds. In accordance with the given context, it can be said that there are four major steps examined that are related to the production of the hybrid seeds. The details about the same are given below:
Step 1: Choice as well as the development of seeds parent (A-Line)
Herein, it can be said that for the commercial hybrid the female parent should possess male sterling. However, in case if not a suitable male sterline is available then in the given situation self-incompatible line is being used. Here, in the process of using the same manual labour will be required. Furthermore, it can also be depicted that in the food grains crops wherein the number of seeds that are produced in each pollination is restricted, the cytoplasmic genetic sterline is being used as the seed parents.
On the other hand, in the vegetable seeds crops in which single pollination will tend to produce many seeds, fertile pure lines are being used as the seeds plants in an effectual way. After identifying the male sterline, an isogenic B-line should be maintained. In this context, the stains can be examined by performing B line crossing with the A-line in an effectual way. Additionally, it can also be depicted that with the help of repeated crossing, B line can be converted into the A-line. This is done until both A and B lines will become very much similar in nature. When both become similar then it is called by the name of isogenic.
Step 2: Choice and the development of restorer or Male parent (R-line)
It is being regarded as the second most important component which is being required with an aim to make a production of hybrid seeds. The given development is being performed by using the pure line selection method. From the heterozygous gene pool, S0 is being selected on the basis of different types of attributes such as disease resistance, vigour, and productivity, etc. Here, after performing the self-pollination, S1 plants are being obtained and they are being grown in the raw wise. The given function is repeated until S2 is obtained. The whole process will be continued until S5 and S6.
On the other hand, the unwanted inbred line in the process is being discarded from the whole process. In addition to this, the perspective of the R lines is being chosen with an aim to make a development of F1 hybrid. This is being made on the basis of S5 and S6. Thus, it is very correct to say that it is by complying with the given type of activity only the whole activity of choice and the development of the restore is being completed. After that, the process will move on to the third step.
Step 3: Maintenance and the multiplication of parental seeds
The hybrid programs are based on the 3 lines in the case of cross-pollinated crops. The lines are A (Ms), B (maintainer) and R (Restorer). These all homozygous inbred is being maintained by the breeder. In this regard, it is the responsibility of breeder that it should discard any kind of changes that happen in population. For the effective maintenance, A and B lines are grown in the ideal agronomic condition. On the other hand, for the effective maintenance of the R-line, the plot should be completely isolated from the others in an effectual way.
Step 4: Production and the improvement of the F1 hybrid
With an aim to make a production of the F1 hybrid seeds, both A and R line are being grown together. The ratio of them is 4:2 in the production block. The arrangement is same but the B line is being substituted by the R lines. Moreover, for the improvement of the F1 hybrid, it is very much essential that the parental lines should be improved. Overall, it can be said that it is being regarded as the basic process with the help of which hybrid seeds are being produced.
MAIN REQUISITES OF PRODUCTION
It is very much important for the individual that it should also have the information about the main requisites that are associated with the hybrid seeds. It is detailed below:
- It is being regarded as the main responsibility of the breeder that it should develop the inbred lines. This is because, if a given step is skipped then in this situation rest another process will not be completed.
- It is also the responsibility of the breeder that it should get information about the specific parental lines. In this regard, the breeder should make sure that the parental lines which are being assessed by it should be correct.
- It is also required by the breeder that it should develop the system with an aim to control the pollen.
The main problem of the breeder and the producer
- To perform the maintenance of the parental lines is being regarded as the main problem of the breeder.
- To perform the separation of the male and female reproductive organs is being regarded as another issue which is being faced by the breeder.
- To perform the work like pollination is another issue which is being faced by the breeder.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PARENTAL LINES
There are some main features in relation to the parental lines examined and they are given below:
- There are two major types of parents such as female and male.
- The high seeds will tend to yield good pollen production
- Good seeds also characteristics the long shedding period.
- Male sterility leads to the plant’s height.
Hence, it is on the basis of given features only an individual will get the idea that what are the parental lines exactly is. It is through this way only an individual is able to recognize the hybrid seeds in an effectual manner.
SOME POPULAR HYBRIDS
There are some examples drawn with an aim to get a better idea about the hybrids. These are all detailed below:
- Roses: It is being regarded as one of the most popular varieties for the hybrid seeds. There are huge numbers of hybrid roses are being found in the market and they are very much popular also.
- Corn: Silver corn, double sweet and Kandy Korn are being regarded as some varieties of the hybrid corn.
- Tomatoes: There are many varieties of hybrid tomatoes are also available in the market and these are Celebration and Beef Maestro etc.
EXPENSIVE TO PRODUCE?
We have discussed earlier also that hybrid seeds are being regarded as the type of seeds which are being produced with the help of cross-pollination of the plants in an artificial way. Thus, with an aim to do the same the scientist tends to perform the thousands of experiments as well as combinations. This is done until the scientist will get the desired results. In this regard, it can be said that with an aim to perform the same the scientist will need to perform lots much research and thus it is due to the presence of given aspect only it is very much expensive in nature. In addition to this, the companies that also produces hybrid seeds tend to invest lots of money in the research and development type of activities. On the other hand, the whole process is very time-consuming in nature also. Here, a person cannot stop after inventing one hybrid seed. Thus, an individual will have to make a continuous effort for the purpose to manufacture the hybrid seeds. Therefore, it is very much correct to say that hybrid seeds are very much expensive in production.
It can be concluded that hybrid seeds are gaining major popularity in today’s environment. This is because; the given type of crop production will tend to give a completely different type of crop. Further, it is also assessed that hybrid seeds are very much expensive to produce. For more, you can also check Assignment Help.