Atmospheric science is a branch of science that deals with the atmosphere of the Earth. It is an elaborative study of different systems and their impacts on Earth’s atmosphere. This field is the interdisciplinary field and encompasses different areas related to physics and chemistry. With the help of chemistry and physics, scientists and researchers study the dynamics of the Earth. In atmospheric science researchers extensively study the atmosphere, processes taking place in the atmosphere, and numerous systems of the atmosphere which are affecting the atmosphere. You can ask for assistance from experts, just say my assignment help and they will provide excellent assignments of atmospheric science.
Different branches of the atmospheric science
The term Paleotempestology is first coined by Emanuel Kerry. In this branch, scientists study the ancient tropical cyclone using various tools and technologies and historical evidence and records. Sedimentary proxy records are the best paleotempestology method, other methods are makers in coral, historical documents and speleothems. Over the wash deposits conserved on coastal lakes are helpful in sedimentary proxy records.
Atmospheric uses the concepts of physics to study and research on the atmosphere. Scientists and researchers try to imitate the solar system with the help of various fluid flow equations, energy transfers, radiations, and chemical models. Meteorology and climatology are two disciplines which are in close association with atmospheric physics. It also involves designing and construction of tools and instruments related to the study of environment and interpretation of the data collected. Scientists use various elements from the theories like cloud physics, scattering theory, spatial statistics and wave propagation models. Introduction of the sounding rockets helps in the study of the top layer of the atmosphere.
Atmospheric chemistry is a branch that comes under atmospheric science. It studies the chemical changes of the planet earth and other planets. This subject is a multidisciplinary field involving the areas such as volcanology, environmental science, meteorology, geology, oceanography etc. Atmospheric chemistry is a vital branch of atmospheric science for more than one reason. It studies the interactions take place between different living organisms present in the atmosphere. How they interact with each other and with the atmosphere.
This discipline also does a research study on how natural events such as thunder and volcanic eruption make an impact on the atmosphere. Numerous problems like global warming, ozone depletion, photochemical smog, various greenhouse gases all such problems studied and tackle by the researchers and scientists from this field. Atmospheric chemistry knowledge provides a dominating hand to researchers and scientists to understand the issue at a deep level thus they are able to find an apt solution.
This subject deals with the change in climate that took place in ancient times. We all know that we cannot do time travelling and visit our past, similarly to record climatic changes of past scientists uses microfossils, rocks, shells, coral, tree rings to find out the variations and other things related to the climate of ancient times. Scientists after doing proper research on the records reconstruct a similar climate which will further help in finding various things about climate change. Ancient climate study is helpful in understanding the changes taking place in today’s climate and how to tackle the issue of global warming. Climate understanding of past helps is predicting the future climate. The field of palaeoclimatology originated in the 19th century when various related to glaciers and natural climatic variations helped in understanding the greenhouse gases and their effects.
The word Climatology was originated from the Greek word KLIMA, means zone. Climatology studies average weather conditions over a certain amount of time. Climatology is a division of atmospheric science and also studied under geography. Climate understanding helps in knowing the weather of a particular area. Mostly weather forecasting departments hire those who have a degree in climatology.
The term “methodology” has its inception in the word “meteor”. Meteor is referred for space and “ology” is the procedure of studying things in our space. This implies that meteorology is a way of studying the atmosphere across the world which also involves weather forecast and relevant processes. Back in history, the efforts in this science used to depend on the available historical data. However, there were no major success records until the 18th century in spite of the fact that meteorology dates back to more than one thousand years ago.
By the inception of the 19th century, this branch of atmospheric science saw slight growth with the development in networks of weather observation within various dimensions of the globe. The most favourable spot on weather observation which helps in predicting the possible events on our planet is on the troposphere. Meteorology explains the weather events which can be observed, it is commonly referred to as “meteorological phenomena”. Meteorological phenomena include clouds, hurricanes, acid rain etc. which are explained and quantified with a number of variables such as:
- Water vapour
- Air pressure
- Mass flow
You can strengthen your knowledge in the branches of atmospheric science by taking assignment help Australia. Assignment writers will provide you with detailed work in above-given branches.
What atmospheric science experts do?
People who are studying the atmosphere of the earth are well versed with “atmospheric science”. Some individuals misunderstand the whole concept with the study of weather, commonly termed as meteorology. However, meteorology is only a concept which lies under atmospheric science.
So, those who become atmospheric science works on a broader concept. Let us discuss this concept with an example of El Nino, a meteorologist is limited to understanding and foretelling the impacts of El Nino. Whereas, an atmospheric scientist has ample knowledge to understand the cause which will act as a base to this phenomenon. They can also predict their time of occurrence.
Other than this, they can work in the public health sector where they will have to study the quality of air and its impact. This is not limited to analysing and predicting short-term weather. They can predict longer patterns relevant to droughts and similar natural conditions and give suggestions on mitigation.
The atmospheric scientists also study the previous data and portray a picture of atmospheric conditions, climate and weather of the past. Meteorologists basically focus on the present. Whereas the scientists will look at the relevant factors and study them all. It includes climatology, chemistry, dynamics of weather systems and physics of earth as well as other planets in this solar system.
Atmospheric scientists have a lot of job prospects and this is why they can work in any field relevant to the atmosphere. Being an atmospheric scientist will not only give the opportunity to establish yourself as weather forecasters or meteorologists, but you can delve into research and study of the atmosphere.
How to become an atmospheric scientist?
If the subject and its nature has attracted your interest, then you may want to know how to build a top-notch career with the same. So, from here on, you can get all the details related to the most obvious and preferred career after studying atmospheric science – atmospheric scientist.
Go ahead if you are interested in the job nature, description and the way to achieve it.
Qualifications in Atmospheric science to become a scientist?
Like many other subjects, you must gain a bachelor’s degree or a similar degree in atmospheric science. It is important because once you will acquire this degree you will grow an insight to your desire in terms of making a career. During this period you will get opportunities to learn more about meteorology, climate science, ancient climate data
If your goal is not exactly to become an atmospheric scientist, a bachelor’s degree is enough to get a job as a high school teacher. To become a university or college teacher a bachelor degree needs an add on – master’s degree. However, in the latter, the case, a master’s degree is only a minimum qualification required, many universities favour candidates with doctorates.
When it comes to government jobs including fieldwork and monitoring, master’s degree will also act as a minimum requirement. In all, other than a high-school teaching job you will have to study hard and long in order to get your desired job.
The jobs and job descriptions after doing atmospheric science degree program
After being an atmospheric scientist a student has to study and foresee the conditions and events of the atmosphere in order to understand the patterns of climate and impact of air pollution. They also analyze the weather patterns and the procedures which cause them. If you are studying atmospheric science for choosing this career, you will have a number of opportunities. They will vary in different jobs, however, here are some common duties which you should know beforehand.
Duties which atmospheric science students must know:
- Measuring temperature, humidity, dew point, atmospheric pressure and other elements of the atmosphere.
- Studying the atmospheric level and the physical interactions which occur during this period.
- Analysing the data acquired from meteorological and weather stations, radar images, GIS and computer simulations, satellite images.
- Studying various climates and gases along with their chemical reactions.
- Understanding and studying the clouds and the interaction of UV rays with the atmosphere.
- Studying the way terrain impacts climate and weather and the way oceans trigger turbulence.
- Considering the way solar events impact satellite navigation and communications
- Using computer software in order to assess data related to the atmosphere, which is also known as meteorological data.
- Writing down computer programs which can aid the mathematical modelling efforts.
- Issuing warning in order to safeguard life and property during unusual atmospheric conditions and severe weather.
- Generating forecasts for the activities related to transportation which can impact the recreational consumers.
- Foreseeing the weather and climate trends based upon the present and previous data.
- Research the factors affecting change in climate and testing the available data and theories with reference to the present evidence.
- Finding out the way climate can influence the conditions of atmosphere across the globe.
- Suggest the policymakers the way atmospheric science can influence society, agriculture, economics and transportation on a local or national or international level.
- Communicate the research results via accessible and suitable channels.
Responsibilities of senior atmospheric scientists
The job duties and responsibilities expand even more when it comes to a senior position. For the senior scientists, the job duties include the below-mentioned things as well. They have to get involved in the managerial processes as well.
- Advise consumers about atmospheric data sets
- Suggest the consumers regarding data sets of atmosphere
- Producing and supplying scientific presentations
- Getting involved in the development, designing and testing of devices, software and systems used for atmospheric data collection.
- Offering data interpretation of available data and consultation to the external agencies, researchers or other professionals.
- Draft and approve research findings, reports and articles for internal or external partners or the general public
- Vet programs to support the atmospheric modelling
- Facilitating funding of future projects by generating grant applications
- Overseeing deliverables and finances on behalf of the department or team.
- Report the findings and carry out analysis via appropriate mediums to the public and clients.
- Looking after every project and ensuring that each phase is meeting the milestones of a workgroup.
- Training or guiding the junior staff or subordinates in order to ensure a proactive environment for the whole staff.
If you have planned to build a career wherein you can stay involved in the study of things in space and help people around you then atmospheric science can be your key to gain the same. The careful study of this subject enables you to be a researcher who stays involved with atmospheric phenomena. You will get to study climate and weather with an aim to identify how these factors and relevant atmospheric conditions impact our planet and living beings in general. To know more about the subject take online assignment help from the experts.
Atmospheric science is all about the study of the atmosphere of Earth. It constitutes a study of all the physical characteristics atmosphere, it’s motions and processes and how all these factors impact the environment. The research in this field can be easily used in forestry, air transportation, defence, sea transportation, air-pollution control and the possible events in climate including droughts, ozone depletion and global warming.